Main Article Content
Bladder cancer, TURBT
Transurethral resection of bladder tumour (TURBT) is the first step in management of bladder cancers. A urology trainee in the UK must do at least 120 procedures during their training years before being a consultant. In our article, we are reporting a retrospective audit of the quality of TURBT across 2 major cancer centres in Lancashire. We assessed the adherence of surgical procedure to the national and international guidelines among different grades of urological surgeons who work in the 2 trusts.
2. Konety B. and Isharwal S. Non-muscle invasive bladder cancer risk stratification. Indian J Urol 2015;31(4):289.
3. Richterstetter M, Wullich B, Amann K, et al. The value of extended transurethral resection of bladder tumour (TURBT) in the treatment of bladder cancer. BJU Int 2012 Jul;110(2 Pt 2):E76–9.
4. Sureka SK, Agarwal V, Agnihotri S, et al. Is en-bloc transurethral resection of bladder tumor for non-muscle invasive bladder carcinoma better than conventional technique in terms of recurrence and progression? A prospective study. Indian J Urol 2014;30(2):144–9.
5. EAU Guidelines. Edn. presented at the EAU Annual Congress Copenhagen 2018. ISBN 978-94-92671-01-1.
6. Nice.org.uk. (2018). Bladder cancer: diagnosis and management | Guidance and guidelines | NICE. [online] Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng2/chapter/1-Recommendations#diagnosing-and-staging-bladder-cancer-2 [Accessed 17 Oct. 2018].
7. Brausi M, Collette L, Kurth K, et al. Variability in the recurrence rate at first follow-up cystoscopy after TUR in stage Ta T1 transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a combined analysis of seven EORTC studies. Eur Urol 2002;41:523–31.
8. Jcst.org. Certification Guidelines for Urology[online] Available at: https://www.jcst.org/-/media/files/jcst/certification-guidelines-and-checklists/certification-guidelines--urol-2017-final.pdf [Accessed 17 Oct. 2018].
9. Traxer O, Pasqui F, Gattegno B, and Pearle M. Technique and complications of transurethral surgery for bladder tumours. BJU Internat 2004;94(4):492–96.
10. Truong M, Liang L, Kukreja J, et al. Cautery artifact understages urothelial cancer at initial transurethral resection of large bladder tumours. Can Urol Assoc J 2017;11(5):E203-6
11. Osaghae S. and Turner, D. Photodynamic diagnosis of bladder cancer: Initial experience of a single UK centre. African J Urol 2014;20(3):123–29.
12. Chou R, Selph S, Buckley DI, et al. Comparative effectiveness of fluorescent versus white light cystoscopy for initial diagnosis or surveillance of bladder cancer on clinical outcomes: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Urol 2017;197:548.
13. May M, Fritsche H, Vetterlein M, et al. Impact of photodynamic diagnosis-assisted transurethral resection of bladder tumors on the prognostic outcome after radical cystectomy: results from PROMETRICS 2011. World J Urol 2016;35(2):245–50.